Because of Writser for pointing me to this concept
Rubicon Know-how (RBCN) ($36MM market cap) is primarily an NOL money shell with a small $4MM income, roughly break-even, industrial sapphire enterprise. RBCN was beforehand buying and selling beneath internet present asset worth till 7/5 when Janel Company (JANL) supplied to tender for 45% of the shares at $20/share. Following the tender, Rubicon will distribute a $11/share particular dividend (roughly their extra money) to all shareholders together with Janel and likewise delist from the NASDAQ together with suspending their SEC reporting necessities (“go darkish”). If everybody totally participates within the tender provide (which they need to, however is unlikely, most likely just a few forgotten shares on the market), RBCN shareholders will obtain a complete of $15.05 in money per share (45% x $20 + 55% x $11) within the subsequent couple months, plus a darkish NOL stub. The shares roughly commerce for the $15.05 money consideration quantity immediately.
To totally entry the NOLs, Janel will then be incentivized to make one other tender provide on that residual stub in three years (IRS required ready interval to protect the NOL) to get their possession degree above 80% to allow them to consolidate the monetary statements. Janel spells out that potential second step of their schedule 13D:
The aim of the provide is for Janel to amass a big possession curiosity in Rubicon, along with illustration on Rubicon’s Board, in an try and (i) rejuvenate, reposition and restructure Rubicon’s enterprise and model by specializing in its worthwhile enterprise line and implementing a decrease price construction to realize profitability and (ii) permit Janel to be ready to doubtlessly extra simply purchase such variety of extra Shares of Rubicon three or extra years thereafter that may, after which, ought to such transaction happen, allow Janel to consolidate the monetary statements of Rubicon’s with its personal, thereby permitting Janel to learn from Rubicon’s important internet working loss (“NOL”) carry-forward belongings. Underneath federal tax legal guidelines, Janel would then be capable of carry ahead and use these NOLs to scale back its future U.S. taxable revenue and tax liabilities till such NOLs expire in accordance with the Inside Income Code of 1986, as amended.
Because the firm is not money circulate optimistic, they presently have a full valuation allowance in opposition to the ~$65MM in tax belongings:
Whereas the full tax asset is $65MM, about $39.5MM is federal which is probably going extra precious and simply transferrable than the $13.3MM in state taxes (IL and IN), I am guessing Janel may additionally take full benefit of the $6.75MM of capital loss carryforwards too. Let’s take away the state tax belongings and name it $46.25 in worth or $19/share (plus no matter you worth the remaining enterprise for) that Janel is paying $9/share ($20 minus the $11 particular dividend). You have bought a while worth of cash in there since they will want to attend 3 years for the subsequent tender, and through that point a few of the NOL will expire (it began expiring in 2021, however I do not know the amortization schedule of the NOL). Appears like doubtlessly an excellent deal for each side given RBCN traded for $9.00-$9.25 previous to the announcement.
I do not know a lot about Janel Corp, it’s a $37MM market cap firm traded OTC that’s 42% owned by Oaxaca Group. It seems to be a holding firm of smallish operations in logistics, manufacturing and a few well being care. We’re taking some counterparty threat right here in each the deal being accomplished efficiently and Janel finally having the ability and prepared to buyout the remaining stub in 3+ years. They’ve dedicated financing already from the growth of their established credit score line with Santander (needn’t go to the syndicated or non-public debt markets like FRG/KSS for instance). Santander can also be offering them with a bridge mortgage whereas they anticipate the particular dividend to receives a commission out. The opposite minimal situation is 35% of holders tendering, 4 main shareholders together with names folks studying this weblog would acknowledge personal 27% of the shares have already agreed to tender, in order that ought to be no downside both.
I shuttle in my head on what worth to ascribe to the stub place. Submit tender it would nonetheless have the identical $19/share (or roughly that, once more undecided how a lot will expire) in tax belongings, Janel will probably be located as the one bidder but in addition they will have a sunk price of buying 45% of it, we is perhaps below a unique company tax regime, it is going to be instantly useable so no low cost for the time worth or threat from their perspective that they will not get entry to the NOL. I do not see why the bottom case should not be $9 once more, however I could possibly be too optimistic in that view, the nice factor right here is it would not matter a lot as it is a free roll as soon as the deal closes.
- Why is it low-cost? Submit tender and particular dividend, it would go darkish and be a small stub with a catalyst 3+ years out, that does not attraction to many traders, significantly within the present surroundings when time horizons are shrinking as persons are afraid of the economic system. It’s a CVR like asset, you have bought some counterparty threat with JANL, it must have the power and need to amass the remaining stub in 3 years. Many traders are down for the 12 months (me included!), doubtlessly behind their benchmarks and do not need to put money into one thing the place you are simply going to get your a refund in 2022, and have this illiquid onerous to worth darkish safety after that we cannot know the true worth for 3 years.
- I like this higher than different NOL shells, it’s a higher construction for present shareholders, because it would not depend on new administration to make acquisitions at a time when there’s nonetheless loads of SPACs and busted biotechs reverse merger model offers.
- RBCN offered some uncooked land in Batavia, IL. The sale hasn’t closed but, however the firm expects to internet $600k in money, or roughly $0.25/share. The corporate additionally owns their present industrial facility in Bensenville, IL which they purchased for $2.3MM (or simply below $1/share) in September 2018. Even after the particular dividend, there ought to be some residual liquidation worth left within the working enterprise and presumably extra if they will flip it round.
- Unsure but of the tax implications of this concept, is perhaps greatest to play it in a tax deferred accounts or given it’s 2022 and a variety of us have tax losses, won’t be so unhealthy in a taxable account both.
- There’s presently not an odd-lot precedence provision, I am assuming that’s on function by the 4 giant fund shareholders, they are not looking for folks piling in to the odd-lot provision and find yourself transferring worth to small shareholders taking part in that arb recreation. There’s additionally no cancel provision based mostly on a drop within the over market both like we have seen in different tender presents.
- When you have entry to the skilled market, is perhaps price watching this one after the particular dividend, particularly if I am proper that the second step will not be carried out at an enormous low cost.
Disclosure: I personal shares of RBCN